RE: Re: [Project] Lights was Foundations are in!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [Project] Lights was Foundations are in!
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:48:11 +0100

Conventional switches are easy to interface, just a mains rated opto
isolator on the inputs.

1 wire bus would not be immune to interference. RS485 is used in all
commercial lighting and industrial control systems because it is cheap and
extremey robust.

The main connectivity in DMX512, LUTRON, CRESTRON etc is a 2 wire RS485
bus.
Those products have a reputation for 100% reliability. That is what we
should be striving for if we want this to succeed.

Fire Alarm. Many alarm panels have Fire Zones on them already. I dont have
comfort but I'm sure one zone on that could be made to trigger an event to
indicate fire.

Units that would have to respond to fire commands would be ALL LIGHTS ON.
ALL MUSIC OFF except Priority Announcements etc. (Killing the music is a
mandatory requirement in Night Clubs and most good gear has fire inputs
that
kill the music but leave the mic channels operational. For cheap stuff you
kill the power.) Stop any fans that are running so you dont spread smoke
through the house etc.

Pizza sounds good but will have to wait a couple of weeks at least :-(

Keith