RE: Re: Foundations are in!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Foundations are in!
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:35:29 +0100

On you lighting, from my limited experience, I'm quite new to all this as
I've only had a year at it, I would say with lighting the best thing to do
is decide how you want your lights to behave first but I would say that X10
is the most flexible and affordable system available, or likely to be for
some time to come. The best way is via the DIN modules as the newer ones
have soft start and respond to extended commands giving far more control
than the plug-in devices and if you are building from scratch then it will
be much easier to install these from the get-go rather than retro-fitting
them later. The din modules (AD10/LD10) are X10 and therefore are
controlled
by X10 signals down the powerline therefore, they do not need a CAT5 run to
them, but for neatness and ease it is advisable to put them in a dedicated
room (Node 0??) or where all your mains boxes etc. are.

To control them the best way for the UK AFAIK, is Homevision , which gives
you plenty of options and expandability as well as IR options, timers,
heating control etc. but there are other options available like Homeseer
and
Ocelot.

I'm sure by know you'll know that you need some CAT5 and CT100/125
installed
;o)

K.