RE: Reversing phone line polarity, was Re: windows calle r id and answermachine solution

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Reversing phone line polarity, was Re: windows calle r id and answermachine solution
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:50:24 +0100

Hi Robert,

Look at http://www.diyha.co.uk/telephones/pots.html
and http://www.diyha.co.uk/projects/silent_phones.html

if the site is up and running. It is suffering from router problems at the
moment :-((

The incoming line is A & B
The bell wire is connected to B via a capacitor
The bells connect to A & Bell Wire

Reversing A&B after the socket effectively connects the bells across
the
capacitor B & Bell. This leaves no connection to the A wire so no
return
path for the ringing.

If you do the revesal between sockets that have phones connected to them
you
end up putting two bells in series across the line. The usual effect is the
line is permanently busy and if the phones have electronic ringers instead
of bells they will squeal continuously.

Keith