RE: Foundations are in!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Foundations are in!
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:33:31 +0100

> What others have said!
>
> - Look at Mark McCall's house on www.automatedhome.co.uk
> - Comfort and Homevision are great
> - X.10 is still where it's at, unless you want to spend LOTS
> of money (5-6
> figures!)
> - CAT5, CAT5, CAT5 everywhere.
>
> I assume from the fact that the foundations are in, then you've got an
> internal layout already designed. However, I'd strongly
> recommend looking at
> whether tyou can incoroporate a 4' square (*minimum* room to
> act as a "Node
> Zero" to wire everything back to.) Ideally, two of them,
> above each other,
> with a 12" conduit between them!

Just to add one thing to what Mark has said, Provide ventilation to the
node
0 if you are going to have any PC's in it, mine has three in it plus other
kit and I have to leave the door open to get the heat out. The room which
it
vents into (My study) has no heating other than the Node 0 radiator ;-)

I have also three other main nodes :-

Switch cupboard 1, which contains main fuse meter and consumer unit, Low
voltage supply for the whole house. Home run T&E for all the lights in
half
the downstairs, CAT5 to all lightwsitches / sensors in half the downstairs.
Comfort.

Switch cupboard 2, Home run lights and cat5 for the other half of the
downstairs. This node is connected to switch cupboard 1 by cat5

Loft Node, which contains all T&E and Cat5 for all the upstairs.

The loft node is connected to Switch cupboard 1 by a duct which is about
8"
square, there is a 4" square trunk in this to separate the mains from
the
cat5. BOTH ARE FULL ;-(

The switch cupboard 1 & 2 also have a duct between them which I put in
the
floor in the concrete (actually it is vacuum hose 2" dia) nothing in
it yet
but I am sure to have forgotten something) Speaking of Vacuum are you
putting in a central Vac ? Even if you are not its worth putting in the
pipe
work so you can retro-fit later, the pipe is very cheep, its  the vac unit
where the money is.

John