Foundations are in!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Foundations are in!
  • From: steve_almond@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:28:21 -0000

I'm new to this, so please excuse any "yet another" questions - I
have trawled the archives though. I have also gathered some
background from various other websites.

We are having a new house built, it will be our last move, and the
foundations are now in. We hope to move in by end October (hopefully
THIS year).

We are keen to incorporate a sensible amount of 'Home Automation'.

We plan to have a small LAN for (3?) computers, using CAT 5 cable
back to a wiring closet. Telephones from most rooms wired back to the
closet also.

Where our ideas fall apart is the 'rest'. We enjoy music and would
like to be able to direct our HiFi output to, perhaps, three
selectable pairs of speakers. We have no interest in Home Cinema.

We require a burglar alarm system.

We are completely lost as to lighting/heating automation.

We would appreciate comments on the above proposals.
Can anyone suggest what sort of system(s) would cover our
requirements? (or where we should seek further help?).

It's obvious that X10 systems have played an important part in Home
Automation - is this still the way to go, or is it being superceded?

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve & Lynda