RE: Structured cabling was Sean Adams' ethernet MP3 player

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Structured cabling was Sean Adams' ethernet MP3 player
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:57:09 -0000

Structured cabling yummy ;)

I have managed the installation of several 2000 plus point installations
using
both floor closet wiring and home runs ...both have their pros and
cons...in
the home environment I think anything that works is fine especially if you
are
retrofitting the cabling. In my case I have my adsl upstairs with hubs both
upstairs and downstairs lots of PCs so I find this more convenient. I also
have a major trunk (back of built in wardrobes)providing a route between
the
floors and into the loft (the closest thing I have to node zero). I am
going
to install cabling for 1 wire but I doubt I will run it in a star config
(this
can be done but can also cause problems due to maximum 1wire lengths)
rather I will run a couple of multidrops both terminated in Node Zero.
Unfortunately when retrofitting you have to be pragmatic about cable runs.

Mick

Keith Doxey <ukha@xxxxxxx> said:

> Yep.
>
> So under the stairs = "Node 0"
>
> Nothing inherrently wrong with A to B wiring except that it wan only
ever be
> A to B wiring. Infact if you need a lot of connections between 2
points that
> is a better way of doing it so you dont tye up two patch sockets for
each
> link.
>
> Likewise if lots of stuff gets patched on a floor by floor level then
you
> have a node 0 on each floor with ties between them. Main Node
"0" would be
> the point of most interconnections, incoming lines etc. eg
>
> Second Floor  20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
> First Floor   10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
> Ground Floor  00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 etc
>
> To run a circuit from Zone 05 to Zone 08 is "05-00-08"
> To run a circuit from Zone 22 to Zone 24 is "22-20-24"
>
> Getting complicated you could go Zone 26 to Zone 16 either by going
through
> TRUE Node 0 "26-20-00-10-16" or "26-20-10-16" if
you had sufficient need for