From: "Martin Greenwood" <martin@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 3:37 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Radio archive problem

A friend has asked me this...

>Scenario:
>We tape off of the radio like most people might tape off the TV. About
6
>hours a week t  listen t  in the car. Archers, Jonathon Ross and Stuart
>Maconie.
>Have gone through many many ghett  blasters but the recording function
dies
>in well under a year usually.
>Have you heard of a product a bit like a VCR for radio taping? Where
you
>could program days in advance etc. And  maybe where the tape bit would
last
>a bit longer.
>Present scenario isn't t   bad, costing about £100/year for 300 hours
of
>taping because a cheap ghett  blaster lasts as long as an expensive
one. If
>you ever need a ghett  blaster that doesn't tape.........
>But there must be something out there t  meet our needs!?!?!

I thought of the following :

Lo tech solution
cassette recorder with programmable settings, need ability t  repeat
same recordings every week.
Does this exist?

Hi tech solution
Download audio daily/weekly from radio web site, and once a week make
a CD that would play in a car cd player
Problems :
May need a new cd player that can handle mp3...
Als  at present all the program material is not on the bbc web site,
just highlights.
Or are there any other known archives? i.e. Napster for radio programs?

Anyone any ideas or suggestions??

Martin