Re: Starting with PIC

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:17:38 -0000, you wrote:

>I seem t  recall a few messages here about PIC microchip projects
and=20
>was wonder what the simplest way to get started with PICs is.  I=20
>found some simple 29 quid parallel port programmer and a 150 quid=20
>Picstart Plus, do they essentially do the same thing?  I don't think=20
>I need anything fancy as long as it can get code down ont  the
chip.=20=20
>I'd also like t  use the 16F600 or 700 with A/D capabilities.  Any=20
>recommendations?

I'd definitely recommend the low-cost route.  I built my programmer from
a kit supplied by Magenta Electronics, and haven't had any problems with
it.  All the development tools (assembler, emulator etc.) are free from
the Microchip site, and they're also easy t  use.  There are even some
shareware C compilers, although I've not tried them.

All my projects to date have used 16F84's, but I've just bought a couple
of 16F873's to experiment with as well, and to try out the A/D features.

If you start at low clock rates - say 4 MHz - you can d  your testing on
stripboard, which is a lot quicker and easier than etching PCB's etc.

They're neat little devices, and the potential applications are almost
limitless :-)

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

Senior R & D programmer    There are three kinds of people in the world
-
Visual Sciences Ltd.        those who can count, and those who can't...