RE: IR circuits

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IR circuits
  • From: "Ian Bird" <I.Bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:31:51 +0100

Hi Campbell

The IR diode used in the kits is as you say very directional. It may be worth trying a different IR diode with a wider beam pattern. Usually a wider beam means less range though. If you try adding more than one IR diode you may need t change the value of the 100 ohm resistor, come back t me if this is what you plan and I will look into it.

As for comfort.
There may be problems with comfort affecting the IR circuit depending on how it is connected. In my circuit the IR LED has +12 volts on one leg with the other connected t 0 volts via a 100 ohm resistor and transistor (switch). The circuit opens the transistor/switch and current flows and the LED fires IR out. My guess is that there would be problems if you tried t connect this circuit into the comfort IR LED without the comfort LED being disc nnected from comfort. This could damage comfort and/or overheat wires and start little bonfires!!!! There is no fusing in my circuit so if the 12 volt is shorted, well, need I say more.

Feel free to give me a call on 01264 711106 or 17740 597906 and we can discuss this further.

One last thought - the comfort LED may have a resistor or similar built into it which may stop it working with my circuit.

Regards

Ian