Re: Two Topics: Broadband in "the country" and Pronto Pro Remotes...

Title: Re: [ukha_d] Two Topics: Broadband in "the country" an
Anyone know what the fasted ISDN line is?

        ISDN channels are 64K each and for normal domestic use (ISDN2e / HomeHighway) you get two channels totalling 128K. However each channel is a separate phone call & cost. Most people use one 64K channel. It is a costly alternative t your adsl if you used it a lot. Call setup times are very good (almost instantaneous) but overall speed much lower and of course not 'always on' so you can't run inward type services eg a web server.*see PS

        ISDN30 is the bigger variety - a single 2MB cable with 30 channels - it can be provided with any number of the 30 channels enabled and each channel is again 64K. Expensive of course and I believe only available on a business line rental, each multiple of 64K is again a separate call.

        You could again bond several of these together if you had the inclination, lines (and money) t create any size pipe in multiples of 64K. Although I have seen all 30 channels used (and there are PC cards that will handle this), I have never seen anything bigger but I'm sure people like the BBC must use it on occasions. These will nearly always be point t point links used for the transfer of large graphic or video footage.

        Kevin

*PS - Actually there is a way around this if you know someone else with a permanent connection and a dial on demand router. You also need a service provider that gives you a static ip eg Demon.  What you do is host your home page on Demons server and include some info eg a graphic that is actually located at the friends permanent site address. Then every time the page is accessed an access is made at your friends site. (This is also useful for logging accesses t your site). You use this 'access' t cause the friends router t dial you on a special number (eg one of you MSN numbers provided with the ISDN line). When ever you see an incoming call on this number (supplemented as well if you want with the caller id of the friends router) you know someone is accessing your site and your router (automatically) dials into your isp for you. Now all the subsequent pages on your site are accessed off your home web server.
        I used this for a while years ago and it worked. In my case the friend was my company who had a leased line and I used ISDN2e. I actually changed in the end to my works router creating a route directly to me rather than me then dialling my isp. It improved latency. This is really just getting a friend t host some of your pages and putting a dial on demand link to you for some pages that require local info eg HomeControl. One downside is that the search bots bring up the dial on demand links. A way around this is t put the triggers on deeper nested pages and t have higher pages with tags set t stop the search engines (no index).