Re: New BlueTooth Phone (No not nokia)

Title: Re: [ukha_d] New BlueTooth Phone (No not nokia)
        I have been playing with BrainBoxes cards. The problems revolve really around what a consumer wants / expects from Bluetooth solutions. It seems most people are going for very high level 'ease of use' functionality eg transparent updating of address books, printing t local printers etc. Had a Nokia 6210 battery pack (pre release) for a while too but it constantly crashed and had no real functionality. Facilities at that time involved changing an entry in a bespoke PC address book application and showing that it als changed in the mobile phone - little more ! (Psion als have cards available). Now I think the Outlook type sync facilities work fairly well.
        I think this is a good consumer approach but for the HA side I wanted much more of a lower level (network type) linking of units t allow use of say a web browser on an iPAQ via a gateway PC. Bluetooth really isn't meant for this, it is a wire replacement for consumer type products, based on ad hoc demand & plug and play. But no d ubt many derivative benefits will be exploited.
        My original HA wireless remotes were based around 418/432 Mhz packet based or serial port emulators - I was using a lot lower bandwidth system based on character addressed screens - I used Psion handhelds & RadioMetrix RF products.
        I have found that the coverage area of Bluetooth is als VERY small - In my house I have rooms that I cannot even get coverage across - no way between rooms that have solid walls. This really has focussed me on 802.11 as my HA solution rather than BlueTooth. It is vastly superior in speed and coverage area but obviously more costly. When the volumes are high enough, bringing the cost down t enable a BlueTooth receiver in each room then maybe the BlueTooth approach will be viable, I must admit it will be nice t have your mobile phone being fully integrated as a HA controller / display either in house or on the road. I am not sure what access you will have t this level of functionality with these phones though. They may well be closed t this sort of application. Being able to run a local WAP session over Bluetooth would be the best way through this.  Does anyone know for sure if this will be possible ???? I think that is the key question here (for HA fans) ?
        BTW -The  main reason for the Bluetooth eval was that I am working on a product for a hobby of mine -a Bridge Scoring system  - http://www.ukusa.demon.co.uk/butler/butler.html
 This uses wireless data entry terminals - currently the packet based 432Mhz devices - BlueTooth however appears to be a much better suited technology for this as the cell structure concept and the small distances involved match very well with the environment in which the product is used. Hope this isn't advertising , don't think so as I can't image anyone here being interested in such a  product !

        Kevin

PS Lee- The 6310 will I am sure be much less money than a 6210 + BlueTooth Battery Pak - but I don't how it will compare with that Ericsson - which appears to be very attractively priced !! ( I feel a 'Phil' type impulse buy coming on).

Kevin Hawkins
www.ukusa.co.uk

Kevin, with regard t bluetooth, if I may ask,what are you using, and what problems are you having?

I am considering the new Ericsson r520,

I think the total price will come in under 6210 + pack.

I post the link below for info only.. I've never bought from/had any contact with these guys, so I can't recommend in any way.

http://www.mobileshop.co.uk/vodafone/ericssonr520.htm

Register quick review

Anyone with any bluetooth hardware care t give an opinion on the current state of it?

(Calling Kevin Hawkins, come in kevin!!)