RE: HomeVision & Pace NTL IR

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: HomeVision & Pace NTL IR
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:10:47 +0100

There are three models of Pace Digital box and only one uses IRDA ... it may well be possible t get them t swap the box over for a different model.

This is a "discussion" which my friend who works there was involved in about a 18 months ago when they first started t trial these boxes and he argued like hell against going with an IRDA only based control structure. The serial port will not allow you t control the unit as this functionality should have been disabled. The powers that be at the time were unable t contemplate why on earth anyone would want to control one of their boxes by anything other than the supplied remote, he even borrowed my Pront t take that in to show them what people in the real world were doing. It doesn't appear than anyone had even considered what the user would do if they lost or broke a remote other than "they can order another one from us". It was too late though to have this changed in the production boxes however they did eventually take note and "fix" it in the later models.

Phil