Caller ID file t HomeVision

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Caller ID file t HomeVision
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:22:29 +0100

Don't know if anyone else is interested (other than Mike) but I have now managed t get a combination of macro and batch file t extract the contents of the call file produced by Capitel and display it on a custom video screen in HomeVision. There were a couple of snags with it which are worth mentioning as this technique can be applied for any text file.

The aim was t have a macro I could assign to an IR command so that when the phone rang I could press a button on the remote and the caller Id info would appear on the TV/Projector screen. I would be using the custom video screens in HomeVision combined with it's ability t read a text file int one of these screens.

1. HomeVison does not seem able t read the text file from any location other than it's own folder (usually c:\program files\homevision\).
2. T resolve point 1 I simply changed Capitel (ISDN Caller ID app) t place it's call file int the HomeVision directory. However HomeVision still didn't seem t like this as it thought the file as in use.
3. T resolve 2 I wrote a little batch file t copy the Capitel calls file t the HomeVision directory. I also included a line in the batch file t copy a blank file ont the Capitel one so that calls were erased once passed t HomeVision. I then called this batch file as the first line in the macro, it didn't run.
4. T resolve 3 I checked that the batch file worked on it's own, it did. I swore a lot, that didn't help. I posted a message t the HV mailing list, one of the responses suggested I use the short DOS format file path in calling the batch file. This made no sense as the file was already in the HomeVision directory, but of course it worked!
5. I created a macro that called the batch file, it copied the text files across, the macro then read the calls file int custom screen 100 and then displayed that screen. This works if run twice, I have no idea why!
6. I finally created another macro that calls the previous one twice and everything is fine. When the phone rings, I can run the macro (simulating an IR command) and the caller ID appears on the screen. I will now need t build on the macro a little bit so that it switches the TV/Projector t the appropriate channel to display the information, and will have another macro triggered by another IR command that will switch the display back. There will probably be different versions of the macros that will be called depending upon the source being viewed. So for example if I am watching a DVD then the macro will first send a pause command t the DVD and then switch the video source for the amp (that feeds the projector), the return macro will switch the amp source back t DVD then start the DVD playing again.

Feel free t ask any questions, once all the IR commands are completed and everyting is working, I will post script from the schedule.

Regards

Graham