Re: Pic novice questions (t Pic or not t Pic)

Title: Re: [ukha_d] Pic novice questions (t Pic or not t Pi
        Ian,
                I don't know the reason behind you wanting to learn to program PIC's but if it is because you would like to be able to create small 'devices' that do things for your HA setup then take a look at the Basic Stamps as well. They are small (PIC) processors that have a Basic interpreter running on them. They are very 'neat' and perform surprisingly well. They are also much easier to program but can do almost the same things. (http://www.parallaxinc.com/). They are distributed in the UK by Milford Instruments.
                I use the Basic Stamps to get things running quickly and easily. Then there is the option if you want t use the PIC's directly you can buy a Basic Compiler for PIC's - this avoids having to purchase the more expensive Stamps, the code also runs faster and you can embed the occasional machine code routine in as well as you gain experience. It's then a bit of a leap into full blown Pic coding.
                If however your goal is to learn the ins and outs of PIC's then there are a variety of books on the subject (Cookbooks). I have a couple of these and would be happy to lend them to you - they are not 'heavy' reads. The PICS have a surprisingly small instruction set that is easy to learn although the combinations of instructions and addressing modes make them very capable.

                Good luck - Kevin