Re: internal phone systems..

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: internal phone systems..
  • From: patrickl@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:58:18 -0000

The cybergear gold is a very nice piece of kit for ISDN use. It will=20
support the delivery of CLI (caller id) t  ordinary analogue=20
handsets, which is unusual. (ISDN exchanges will support=20
both "ordinary" analogue handsets with the correct adapter, or=20
digital ISDN handsets which can be extortionately expensive, and may=20
require independent power).

For conventional analogue lines, the Olychrom (sp?) is well thought=20
of. Solwise (www.solwise.co.uk) also carry a reasonable range. Expect=20
to pay 200-300 for a 2+8 configuration (2 exchange lines routed t  8=20
extensions).

If you use an analogue modem, be aware that the cheaper PBX's may=20
limit your maximum connection speed. I don't know of any 2+8 PBX's=20
which support CLI, although there are 1+4's which do.

If you are adventurous, it's well worth trawling the second hand=20
office market for an old PBX - but be wary of any which aren't=20
supplied with full user and installation documentation. Avoid the BT=20
Ambassador exchanges, which are very common on the second hand=20
market, but only work with special handsets and are=20
particularly "clunky" t  use.

In all cases, you will need to star wire your extensions (ie home=20
runs from the point where you install the exchange) - in contrast to=20
the usual daisy chain. When using analogue handsets (as opposed t =20
ISDN), 2 wires are sufficient (pins 2 & 5 on the BT socket) - but
you=20
will need to fit a master socket to each extension t  ensure the=20
handset rings correctly. For details of how to wire digital ISDN=20
handsets, look at Peter Strangman's home page=20
(www.adelheid.demon.co.uk). He also has a useful comparison chart to=20
assist in selecting PBX's and a list of vendors.

Until recently it used t  be a BT requirement t  have a PBX=20
maintained by an approved installer. This is no longer the case,=20
although some suppliers may try t  brow beat you into submission.

Finally, you may want t  make special provision for power cuts -=20
either a handset directly wired t  the exchange line, or a UPS to=20
power the exchange. Some (most?) exchanges will provide "pass=20
through" in the case of failure, connecting a specific extension t =20
the exchange in the case of powerloss.

HTH

Patrick

--- In ukha_d@y..., "John McManus" <john.mcmanus@b...>
wrote:
> This would probably most easily be done by a PBX (private branch=20
exchange).
> There may well be ones out there that support normal analogue=20
exchange lines
> ... but I only have experience of the ISDN variety.
>=20
> The PBX that I have is from Network Alchemy... it takes 2 ISDN2e=20
circuits (4
> channels) and provides 16 extensions.  They also do an entry model
> (Cybergear Gold) for about =A3300? that takes an ISDN2e / Home=20
Highway in and
> provides 6 extensions out (for your normal house phones).  With the
> Cybergear you can call from one extension t  another, transfer=20
calls, have
> hunt groups etc.  Can also act as a (simple) ISDN router.  It=20
provides TAPI
> integration t  the PC desktop, PC based voice mail and lots of=20
other stuff.
>=20
> There are a number of other systems that have similar=20
functionality... but I