RE: Serial port expansion

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Serial port expansion
  • From: "Brian G. Reynolds" <brian.g.reynolds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:53:48 +0100

I found one of these cards at work in a draw, 8 port IIRC, I asked about
buying it and all hell broke loose! the boss knew what it was and when I
looked into it on the web it was around £600!! I rang the manufacturers
asking why the expense for what it is and they said it is all to do with
the
quality of build, error checking etc. etc, still not worth £600 though.

I eventually bought a 4 port Multitech Server Card PCI for £157 from work
back in April, and I have used all the ports already! Seems everything
wants
a comm. port in this game.

It uses IRQ 11 and gives me com 4-7. and it is running on a W2K Server.

Do rather like you do with Cat5 cabling install one install lots more.....

B.

PORT
> (rather than per card), but even if I'm wrong about that, this
> would still
> require a minimum of 2 IRQ's, and quite possibly 4 IRQ's.
>
> The Byterunner 4-port ones use 1 IRQ only for all 4 ports, - much
> easier t
> configure! - I just looked a the shipping options, - cheapest option
is
> £8.80, - making total cost delivered to my door of about £79,
> which whilst
> not exactly sensible, (for what it is), is not the STUPID MONEY
> that Netshop
> want for the same thing...
>
> Or, I suppose, I could just put in a 2-port card, and use one of the
> USB-RS232 adapters I've got... (I actually need 5 serial ports right
now,
> but having an extra spare one will likely come in handy...)
>

> Paul G.
>

> >Netshop were doing two port fast serial PCI cards for about £29
> last time I
> >looked ... can't you use 2 PCI slots if you need four ports?

looking at the ones at