RE: Re: Sainsbury's Homebase HA give away

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Sainsbury's Homebase HA give away
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:25:43 +0100

> I have yet to try this, so don't be too hasty to flame me...! :o)

We don't do that here ;-)

> I used to use the Quantech house control system which used Triacs to
> control the mains. Although not able to dim, they worked well
> with the low
> energy bulbs. I am assuming that with the Lamp Controller
> LM12, as long as
> you don't dim it, it should switch these devices on and off.
> I'll have a go
> when I get a chance to check this out as I am sure this will
> work, although
> the low wattage units might be a problem as the LM12 states
> 30W (or is it
> 40) minimum load.

The minimum load is important, but if you have several lamps on each
circuit
you might fit into the correct load bracket. Look out if you accidentally
dim the loads, you may damage/reduce the life of the lamps if left in that
state for a long time.

IF you have a LOT of lamp modules it could be possible t  add a circuit to
convert them, using a mains rated cap, rectifier and a relay, but is just
not worth the effort and would leave you with the problem of enclosing a
potentially lethal device. Personally I would sell them and buy the
appliance module's

John