RE: WAS: Home Camera question, NOW: HA Cookbook

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: WAS: Home Camera question, NOW: HA Cookbook
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 08:30:39 +0100

I agree also! - I have occasionally thought that this is a good idea, -
especially when I see something cool and I think "hey, that's cool, I
wonder
how to do it?" - then I have to enter into an ongoing dialogue with
the
person to find out..

A series of articles that are presented as a complete set of instructions
on
how to achieve a particular HA staple would be my ideal - done just like
the
construction instructions for a model kit, or a recipe, you know..

"Get one of these..."
"Get some of this..."
"Do this..."
"Download this..."
"Install it with these options..."
"Roast for 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200C"

Sort of thing.

I.E. rather than generic discussions about all the various ways to achieve
something, but actual packaged instructions that will result in a complete
dunce being able t  achieve the end result, including a shopping list of
bits.

This obviously would have to be written by people who have already done the
job in question, and therefore already done the research, and made the
mistakes etc.

Get enough of these together and we then have the basis for the "UKHA
cookbook"

Some initial ideas for some of the "recipies" that I'd like t
see are:

How to make a video capture PC...
How to get a camera feed ont  a webpage...
How get temperature data into a PC...
How to automate a XXXXX gas boiler... (where XXXX would be a specific
model)
How to get Caller ID into a PC...
How to make a Comfort panel talk to a PC...
How to program a Comfort panel to do XXXXXX...

Sorry for the PC bias, - but I don't have a homevision, but most of the
above could apply equally as well to a HV...

Thoughts?

Paul G.

PS: - I just knocked up a quick example of the sort of thing I'm thinking
of, - the zipped word 2000 doc. is attached. (hope you don't mind that!
it's
only 12K). - obviously you may not want to open this for fear of macro
viruses, but I can assure you it doesn't have any, and you can always make
sure you've got macro virus protection turned on in word and then refuse t
run any macros when it asks for permission. (this one won't, as it doesn't
have any macros!)

>Guys someone ..Brian? ...suggested we need a how to series of
articles...I
>agree! I am happy to help put some together and would love t  read one
on
>Ians's IR solution.
>
>David
>
>it depends what you want, if you are doing a major rewire then run Cat5
>everywhere, then run some more...then run some more..and repeat until
>either
>you run out of money or you can't move for cat5!
>
>With regard s cams again it depends what you want.....continuous video
of
>all rooms stored on the pc? ...manually selected storing on the
pc?...or
>something else?
>
>WIth the appropriate video capture card you can store the images both
video
>and stills to a PC, you need to decide what you want to do. for example
if
>you have cams with PIR you can set  a suitable video switcher to pick
up
>each one as it is activated then one video capture card can grab the
>images(or a short video ) ont  the PC. you could also split this signal
and
>modulate it onto a TV channel to allow viewing on your TV(s).
Alternatively