RE: Home Camera question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Home Camera question
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 03:17:24 +0100

Guys someone ..Brian? ...suggested we need a how to series of articles...I agree! I am happy to help put some together and would love to read one on Ians's IR solution.

David

it depends what you want, if you are doing a major rewire then run Cat5 everywhere, then run some more...then run some more..and repeat until either you run out of money or you can't move for cat5!

With regard s cams again it depends what you want.....continuous video of all rooms stored on the pc? ...manually selected storing on the pc?...or something else?

WIth the appropriate video capture card you can store the images both video and stills to a PC, you need to decide what you want to do. for example if you have cams with PIR you can set  a suitable video switcher to pick up each one as it is activated then one video capture card can grab the images(or a short video ) ont the PC. you could also split this signal and modulate it onto a TV channel to allow viewing on your TV(s). Alternatively you could take a feed from the PC which has the video input and modulate that onto your TV(s).

Sorry if the above sounds confusing but I have done a lot of thinking about this and I have 4 cams and a switcher plus 2 webcams and a video capture card. The problem is getting it all to do what you want :)

Feel free to email me directly if I have totally confused you, and I am sure the other people on the list will give you lots of good advice :)

Cheers
Mick