Re: Big Brother house (on topic I promise) and electronic door locks

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Big Brother house (on topic I promise) and electronic door locks
  • From: "Steve Cooper" <steve.cooper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:22:06 +0100

Mark

One thing t  consider is the fire safety aspects.  If a fire causes an
alarm to be triggered either intentionally or otherwise, the doors will
lock blocking your escape route.
For this reason it is best to make the internal doors the unlock on failure
types, that way if you can kill the power the doors will unlock.

This raises the question of what you do for external doors though.
Obviously if you have a power cut you don't want the doors to open but at
the same time you don't want to be locked out.

Steve

"Mark Hetherington"
<mark.egroups@xxxxxxx        To:     ukha_d@xxxxxxx
mon.co.uk>                            cc:
Subject:     [ukha_d] Big Brother house (on topic I promise) and electronic
door locks
05/07/01 00:17
Please respond t  ukha_d

Anyone know what system(s) they used for the Big Brother house. They
seem t  have (remote) control of pretty much everything in there e.g.
lighting, doorlocks and hot water. I imagine their budget would allow
them t  go for expensive systems but it would be interesting t  know
what system they did go for.

I am especially interested in the door locks on the internal doors. I
was thinking of trying t  get some for the internal doors of the
house so that when the alarm is set, all internal doors could be
electronically locked. I haven't seen any electronic door locks
around so am not sure where t  source them or what kind of price they
might be.

It would be nice t  have electronic locks on the external doors and
windows but with them being "standard" double glazing, I doubt it
is
an option. Windows are press lock (when unlocked) and turn. Handles
are lift t  weather prrof and secure then lock to lock. Both do not
seem well suited t  electronic locking.

My next house is going t  have to be self build or complete gut of
existing house to fulfill my HA ideals but for now I am stuck with
retro fitting and experimentation. :)

Mark.