Re: Automating the split aircon unit

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Automating the split aircon unit
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <tivo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 00:54:10 +0100

It struck me whilst reading this thread that there must be a
substantial demand to retrofit some control hardware t  existing
'closed' products like the split aircons.

I think I have seen a couple of devices that do things like
sense when an led is lit (optically) and sense current drawn in
cables. Never seen anything that is designed t  simulate a keypress
(by some form of electrical connection across an existing switch eg
relay or electronic). Often these would be membrane keypads for
example. Or anything that could monitor an lcd display for certain
segments being on or off. I did this for the 7 segment display on my
boiler but that was easy !
Whilst this is very much at the 'hack' end of the market it
would seem t  obviously appeal to a few here... there are several
semiconductor switches that I'm sure would do for low current
applications and some PIC code t  simulate keypresses is no problem,
all converted t  a serial command protocol, probably do-able but
would anyone want to mess at this level with the fitting ?. Maybe an
idea for a project but I can't ever see it being a saleable product -
or getting CE approval.

Kevin