Re: This mail group

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: This mail group
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:12:07 -0000

Although I agree with the sentiments of both Kieran and the post he
quotes about community, personally I find the mailing list format t
be a little restrictive. Replaced or even only becoming complementary
t  a Usenet group and the restrictions of the Yahoo group format are
reduced or even removed. It would not necessarily destroy the
community that ukha has become but would IMO allow it t  grow more
readily if the community can expand into other channels.

Much of what prompted the questions over the group this weekend would
on usenet have been a single easily ignored thread that would not
have affected those that did not wish to follow it rather than the
huge mailbox of messages or trawl through the clunky Yahoo web
interface which was the actual result.

Every mailing list I have ever subscribed t  has been a complementary
service rather than a primary one. The only reason I subscribe t  the
list is becuase this is where the ukha community resides. If the
Usenet group came about, I would go there and would probably stay
subscribed t  the list but would expect it t  return t  a more
complementary service.

Not all the members are regular posters, many never post at all. I
assume many lurkers read the list finding it interesting and
informative. I can easily understand how it could become frustrating
as the core posters digress onto other things.

Since there is not really a Usenet group applicable to us ukha'ers
(c.h.a. although I subscribe t  it, rarely has relevant or
interesting discussion) I am forced t  accept the yahoo group format
but it is definitely not my preference. I feel it is to  restrictive
and as we as a group continue t  grow, there is more likely to be
repeats of last weekend and more discussion over fragmentation and
splits of the group.

There have been attempts in the past t  reduce traffic t  the list,
all of which have rarely gone very far and usually result in us all
joining the extra lists or forums anyway :)

As a family grows, they will not necessarily continue t  live in the
2 up 2 down house, but will try and find somewhere bigger or extend
the house. A community of people in a village do not try and house
the whole village in what houses there are, but will build more. We
are a community and I for one feel like we are all trying to cram
into a 2 up 2 down for fear of losing that community spirit. We
won't, we just want an extension building :)

Mark.