Fw: Home Automation Software

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fw: Home Automation Software
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:07:03 +0100

Just received this...

M.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brett" <jim@xxxxxxx>
To: <mark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 10:42 AM
Subject: Home Automation Software

> Mark,
>
> Im working on some home automation software (I know there are products
like HomerSeer etc on the market - but ive got an interest in both HA and
programming and thought id have ago at writing my own.

> Im planning t  release it as freeware t  anyone who is interested, ive
based it on an open architecture where plugins are used t  trigger events
and send event etc and a Central Logic processor performs processing.

> I will be providing open source for the plugins t  allow users t  add
their own and therefore hopefully allow all devices to be supported.
> Initially i will be releasing and X10 plugin, a WinAMP plugin (to
contorl
WinAMP), a scheduler for temporal events and an WindowsAPP controller for
starting/stopping windows apps etc, a POP3 and SMTP plugins t  allow mail
retrieval and mail sending.

> Ive done this becuase one of the biggest problems with HA software is
their lack of support for new/one off devices - Using this architecture
will
allow these problems to be overcome (im also hoping t  provide a bucket
load
of plugins overtime to support a vast quantity of devices - subject t  me
getting hold of the devices.)

> There a little more info here:
>
> http://www.yellowmelon.com/HA/default.htm
>
> Q) What do you think t  this as an idea/project - do you think there
is a
user base out there for such 'free' project??