Re: New poll for ukha_d

Yes but that's my point .... if they have a prior inclination to be
involved then IRC is a valuable t ol, and remember I said the scripts
could be pasted in an email and sent to the list as well ..... so no one
has to miss out :-)

People on list can still comment on the conversations from IRC as they
have the script in theie email -- so no one is ruled out.

Phil Harris wrote:

> The problem I see with IRC is that people aren't looking in on the
> conversation and contributing actively unless they have a prior
inclinatiuon
> t  be involved.
>
> As for the large mail lists ... I have no problems with shift-deleting
> swathe of emails (I do it with most of the project ones since I'm not
> involved in that) but it does put some people off who aren't so
dedicated t
> the "cause". I use ISDN t  retrieve my mail because where I
am a normal
> modem runs at about 1.4k/sec so I do know what it's like t  have to
wait for
> large numbers of mails t  download.
>
> Phil

email
>> *does* clog the lists and can take a long time to host a short
>> disscusion. A meeting on IRC can have the scripts recorded which
can
>> then be edited [if neccesary] and posted as a single email t  the
list,
>> thus reducing traffic and ensuring no one is left out :-)
>>
>> instant messengers and related chat functions however are more of
>> problem ... I would suggest email complimented by IRC as there are
many
>> free clients for just about every OS under the sun.
>>
>> Phil, stop apologising please, it's easy t  select the first entry
and
>> shift select the last then press <del> ;-)
>>
>> Phil Harris wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at it with my sensible hat on ... there's a lot of
>>
>> people get a lot
>>
>>> of usefull information from the group. IRC isn't going t  work
>>
>> s  well as it
>>
>>> depends on a conversation taking place in real time rather
than

>> via email
>>
>>> where the two parties can leave and join a
"conversation" as

>> they feel like
>>
>>> it and others can join in when they feel they have something t
>>
>> contribute.
>>
>>> If people have been put off the group by last nights sillyness
then I'm
>>> afraid thats my fault and rather than them consider going
elsewhere for
>>> information (which I really don't think they'll get as good
support
>>> elsewhere as people give here) *OR* consider fragmenting the
>>
>> list over int
>>
>>> IRC where I think lots of good information will get missed
I'll