Re: Anyone int automation PLC's?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Anyone int automation PLC's?
  • From: "Richard Challis" <richard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:36:40 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0435_01C10254.630588A0
C ntent-Typ(: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
C ntent-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Neil,

Sorry, by pods I mean the communication adaptors t  get your PC t  talk=
t  the PLC - Quite a few manufacturers PLC's require this adaptor normally=
t  adapt RS232 t  RS485 (normally a butchered version) or t  their own com=
ms standard (ie Siemens - MPI for the S7 series, Allen Bradley PIC
adaptors=
for the "bottom range" t  1000 UKP adaptors for the higher end)

I have used PLC's in the past to do things around the house, I've still=
got a 160 I/O PLC sat on the stairs for me t  find some way of interfacing=
its I/O t  the homevision. I found because of their way of thinking (ie yo=
u have to develop everything from scratch and some don't have a realtime
cl=
ock) even through I can write their code (Rung Ladder Logic normally, but
s=
tatement list for the Siemens) without thinking, the Home vision is much
be=
tter because it nativally understands IR, timeing and compensates for the
c=
hanging time of dusk etc.

The last two houses I've been in have had PLC installs but in this curr=
ent house I've not bothered and stuck t  the HV. Quite irronic when I have
=
several boxes of PLC's sat about "for me t  get around tuit"!
(and I own th=
e software and the various pods t  talk t  the creatures!)

Regards

Rich   (Who has put this out t  the list as it may be of interest to ot=
hers who may be considering a PLC)