Re: X-10 on eBay and our prices.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X-10 on eBay and our prices.
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 20ec 22:40:53 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "steve" <steve@b...> wrote:
> Is it used less because it is expensive ?

It will remain expensive until it acheives greater market=20
penetration. Simple economics.=20

> The recent homebase clearance has shown it would sell in greater=20
volume at lower price.

It showed that people that knew about it would buy more at the lower=20
price. I doubt it introduced many/any new people to HA and X10.=20
Without the Internet and the reports from us all that they are=20
reducing the kit and where it is I doubt even those of us who do buy=20
it would have bothered to check so their sales would have likely been=20
as slow as ever except for anyone waiting and watching for a price=20
drop or in need of kit getting an unexpected surprise.=20

But even among us diehards, I think it was more a case of being=20
unable to resist the bargain syndrome that has cleared out the=20
HomeBase stocks. I now have spares for the control points=20
(CM12, TM12, MT) and more modules than I can imagine uses for purely=20
because it was so cheap. I actually had a few spare modules before=20
the latest price reduction but there was no way I could miss out on=20
this latest price cut. I am actually considering automating my office=20
at work to use some of the stuff up! :)

If I could think of more ways to use the mini timer I would probably=20
buy some more of them since at =A39.99 they are not a bad price for an=20
alarm clock and you get to control bits with them. At the moment I=20
use them as simple bedside controllers that happen to have a clock=20
but have run out of bedsides :)=20

I think I need to buy a new house next to fit all my HA gear and so I=20
feel better about rewiring parts of it. Having finished renovating=20
and decorating before I had the money to properly look into HA I am=20
somewhat restricted as to what I can do but I am sure one day I will=20
move and can start knowing a lot more than I did when I started here.=20

I do think there is a great degree of redundancy in my current=20
equipment particulalrly with the recent release of the WS10 and my=20
discovery of DIN modules but I hope that by the time I can afford and=20
have the property to do a full DIN module/WS10 installation I will=20
have found a way to adapt the original modules for some use.=20

Mark.