RE: Wireless Compatibility

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless Compatibility
  • From: "Ian B" <I.Bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:45:18 -0000

My RG1000 was delivered on Saturday morning. Here are some of my
experiences.

1) RTFM!! For Windows 2000 (my laptop) there is a bug in the install
program
causing it to appear OK but install the wrong driver files. There is an
included leaflet but a sticky on the CD would have saved me a lot of
trouble.
2) Range is poor with the RG in my house (ground floor) and wondering round
outside. In the house it is great, upstairs or down. I have a reasonably
sized 3 bed semi.
3) There is a distinct lack of information for the more advanced services.
e.g. DHCP, NAT and wired networks. I use all of these and was pretty much
left to figure it out myself. It took me a long time to find the
connect/disconnect menu choice as well. This is because I had not started
the client program where it is at the time.
4) Connecting to different service providers means sending new settings to
the gateway. A drop down list of connections would be a big improvement
here.
5) The manual is a little too small in size to read comfortably and is not
in depth enough after the first glance through.

Having said all that though it is brilliant to use. I have it on my laptop
when I am at home and intend to start on the ePod install ASAP. Not enough
time in the day as usual.

Ian