RE: Wireless Compatibility

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Wireless Compatibility
  • From: REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:08:46 -0000

> Don't know whether to thank you or not for that link.
> Interesting site with lots of good info. However, some of the
> users comments on setting up the Orinoco AP kit sound like
> the stuff of nightmares. I know that someone on this list
> uses Orinoco, what was it like to setup?

I have the Orinoco RG1000 Residential Gateway kit, and I've just read the
readers' opinions on the site you mentioned. From my experience, it sounds
like they either didn't read the documentation before trying to get it
working, or they are using an older firmware which is substantially worse,
and haven't bothered flashing it to the latest version.

I thought configuration was a doddle, although it helped to know a few
basic
IP networking terms.

Most of the criticisms I read about it seem to be essentially wrong. I
configured it using a wired network card from my Windows NT Server. I had
configure my server to temporarily use a different subnet mask and IP
address, but this doesn't require a reboot, and the documentation does tell
you of the need to do it. Connecting to the RG1000 is then a case of
entering the network address of the unit, printed on the back of the
RG1000.
The software then tells you it wants to upgrade the firmware on the RG1000
which it then does for you. You then choose 'manual configuration', turn
off
NAT and tick the 'operate as an ethernet bridge', assign it an IP address
and subnet mask (or tell it to be a DHCP client). I'm pretty sure that's
all
there is to it. Click OK, the RG1000 restarts, and then you're up and
running. Sounds harder than it is - there aren't many options to choose
from
on the config screens, so it's straightforward.

Getting the silver card to work with my ePOD was even easier. A simple case
of copying the require CAB file to the ePOD. Double clicking it to install
it. Insert the card. Tell it the network address and encryption string.
Assign an IP (or use DHCP). Job done.

The only problem I have encountered so far is that with a weak signal, my
card/ePOD has a habit of switching from channel 1 (that my RG1000 is
using),
to channel 4, which breaks the network connection. Fixed by powering the
ePOD off and back on again. I've not updated the firmware on my card yet
though, so this may fix it.

I can't comment as to how well the RG1000 works as a NAT router or a dialup
router since I've not tried these.

Would I buy one again? Certainly.

Ray Barnett