RE: Was : epods - problem ! Now : Orinoco

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Was : epods - problem ! Now : Orinoco
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:54:26 -0000

I went for the Starter Kit that has a RG-1000 and a PCMCIA card. The main
reason for this is that the majority of my PC's (and all the desktop ones)
are at the top of the house (second floor) and the majority of my ePOD use
will be on the ground floor. My house is 450 years old, u-shaped with some
walls 3 feet thick stone, it is not the best environment for wireless
networking. Now I did manage to get a weak signal from top to bottom with
the RG-1000 but have opted to locate it on the ground floor for optimum
range. In the long run I will have a few ePODs in the house, but probably
only two will be wireless with the others in semi-permanent positions and
using wired cards. I will have 88 wired ports in the house (though not all
will be used for LAN) so the wireless network is only going to be used to
allow me to work 'untethered' it is not to give me networking where there
would otherwise be none.

Regards

Graham