RE: [OT] Keith Doxey is a Plonker !!! ....Help Wanted from someone near Luton Please

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Keith Doxey is a Plonker !!! ....Help Wanted from someone near Luton Please
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:18:35 -0000

Hi Keith, welcome back. I am about 25 miles from Luton, so if no-one is
nearer I could probably go and get the bag for you. I dare say that a large
number of the emails you have relate to the great ePODs discussion, you
could delete them all if you like, here is the condensed version:

ePODS are webpads originally sold with a 3 year ISP contract, the ISP went
bust so the ePODs were then useless until they were hacked (details at
www.geocities.com/epodsfiles).
Once hacked they become very inexpensive ($199 or about £200 shipped to the
UK) windows CE tools.
They accept Compact Flash for storage and PCMCIA cards (modem is supplied).
Several of use are now using them with wireless network card which turns
them into a completely portable access point for your LAN and the internet.
I use Orinoco cards and 'Residential Gateway' with no problems at all (even
DHCP works).
There are many applications that work on them, including an IRC client,
email client and handwriting recognition, it looks like several developers
have now worked out how to develop new software for the platform too.
They are becoming very difficult to get hold of as they sell out as soon as
they arrive at Salton (the main store in the US that seems to get them).
There are rumours of stock coming in next week.
If you have any other questions you might want to email me rather than the
list as the traffic has gotten a little out of hand. Also there is a wealth
of information at the geocities site including a link to a discussion board
that has had over 3000 entries in the past month!

How are the KAT5's coming along, my contract finishes tomorrow and I am
planning a month off for cabling, installing comfort, setting up
homevision,
installing x10 din rails modules and developing web front end to access it
all from ePODs. KAT5's would fit in nicely.

Regards

Graham