iPAQ ROM Upgrade - DON'T!!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: iPAQ ROM Upgrade - DON'T!!
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:29:30 -0000

Looks like Compaq have pulled the file off the Net for the iPAQ ROM upgrade due to problems.

Thanks to Kwong for this info...

M.

Tuesday, January 23

WARNING: Be careful with the iPAQ ROM update! - I've heard from two (err, make that three) people so far that their iPAQ has been hosed by the install of the ROM update. I've personally flashed two iPAQ's already, and haven't had any problems. But there's obviously something a little screwy here. Michael C. Mancini sent me this message a few minutes ago:
"I just tried running the iPAQ update, and it left me with an unusable unit. I just got off the phone with Compaq, and apparantly about 10 others have had this problem with the update. Thus, they are pulling it off the web. Expect a new update in about a week. Unfortunately, they are unwilling to ship me a new unit, even though they screwed up on this one. ARRGH! I never had problems with my Palm IIIx... I will never buy Compaq again. Please post a warning on your page so others won't be caught in my situation."
Personally, I think that Compaq should certainly take back units that are hosed and re-flash them - it was their process that screwed them up to begin with! But I also wonder what's causing this, and if it's perhaps something about the computer systems people are using for the install. Bad USB connection? Perhaps some application installed that's screwing it up? If the Compaq ROM upgrade was utterly flawed, it would be hosing a lot more iPAQ's than it is. But, bottom line, proceed at your own risk, and if you aren't feeling lucky today, wait a week or so for Compaq to work the kinks out.
posted at 5:55 PM
The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

eGroups Sponsor