RE: [EPODS] Development - FIXED!!!!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [EPODS] Development - FIXED!!!!
  • From: andy.powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:51:25 +0100

>erm what benefit would this approach be over the web page view of
homeseer ?

Well, full screen house status (Pictures maybe) , Automatic alerts/alarms
integration with my mp3 player (extra interface in the application) my own
layout

>or even a custom web page developed through the homeseer COM object ?

Although I've :

1. Written my own webserver that communicates with
Homeseer with no problems
2. Got PWS working with Homeseer with no problems
3. been able to tell if the machine I'm connecting
with is an EPODS or PC/Linux box etc

it isn't the best or quickest way to get data - it's fine for remote
access but we're talking local access - You expect a web browser to take a
little time to get the info. *I* expect my EPODS to be as quick as a
screen refresh (or there abouts). The data transfer has got to be quicker.
Images would stored locally (EPODS) and you could probably expect
something like (and these are rough figures - I haven't worked out the
full data structure yet):

Header : 10 bytes
Body     : 512 bytes
Checksum: 8 bytes

the Homeseer logo by comparison is 13kb!

It's clear that a lot more thought needs to go into the development but
HTTP is pretty slow...

A.

"Henderson, Darren" <Darren.Henderson@xxxxxxx>
23/01/2001 16:25