Re: [EPODS] Development - FIXED!!!!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [EPODS] Development - FIXED!!!!
  • From: andy.powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:12:13 +0100

Vince,

Nice n simple  - I already have an app that talks to Homeseer so I can
incorporate that into the WSOCK app on the PC side...

I've been having a think about this and this is what I've come up with

1. Server side app polls Homeseer once every 2-3 seconds and stores data
in its memory (arrays??) unless a specific command is received from the
EPODS (on/off/brite/dim etc)

2. EPODS polls the server every 4-5 seconds to get status of changed items
unless it sends an on/off/bright/dim. If a command is sent then all the
changed data is refreshed.

3. The icons/images should be stored locally (storage card) on the epods
to reduce dataflow. It sohuld be pretty easy to update them using active
sync other the network.

4. Security shouldn't be an issue with wireless encryption. (probably
should use 128 bit)

The  times about are rough - I haven't tested to see what effect this
would have on the server (load) but it's done like this because you may
well have more than 1 epods on the network!!  :-))

The WSOCK app seems to send data in blocks of 8192 bytes which should be
more than enough to hold all the info needed (unless you want text strings
sent)
It seems to work out at about 8192 bytes /5sec with a serial cable PPP
link so this should improve when going wireless.

A.

"vince" <vince@xxxxxxx>
23/01/2001 15:49
Please respond to ukha_d