RE: Idea to reduce traffic

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Idea to reduce traffic
  • From: "Brendan" <jbh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:26:25 -0000

I think it's a great idea.

Brendan

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr John Tankard [mailto:john@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 22 January 2001 15:19
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Idea to reduce traffic

Just a thought

The list is getting much more popular now and the number of messages can
become large, in many cases a topic (epods) can run and run generating a
lot
of traffic. I have been thinking about this for some time now and about how
we could improve the situation before the list reaches a critical mass
where
the traffic is two much for many people.

I can donate some spare mail lists that we have on our servers that can be
used for long running issues, so for instance with the epods discussion we
can move over to say list1, anyone interested can subscribe to that list
and
unsubscribe when the discussion finishes (keen readers can keep subscribed
all the time), obviously for it to work initial debates should always start
on ukha_d. our server also supports digest form for lurkers.

ukha_d would then handle short running discussions and be the start point
for long debates and chats which would happen on one if these new lists, my
thought is that more people would stay on the list because the total number
of messages would be reduecd

Most users might want to subscribe to these extra lists for digest reports
until a topic that they are keen on come along and switch to receive every
message, switching back to digest when the topic dies out.

I can see that we would only need to use two or three lists for all our
needs. so when a topic gets hot all that is needed is someone to say
"we
move to list2 to continue", anyone could do it.

it will give the list some of the benefits of a newsgroup without the
disadvantages.

What do you think?

I have spoke with Mark and he thinks we should ask the list, over to you

John