RE: To HomeVision or not to HomeVision

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: To HomeVision or not to HomeVision
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:47:53 -0000

>But there's the small matter of having a spare PC to dedicate to it :-)

Until a couple of days ago, I only had one PC (an old 233MMX) .... it ran
HomeSeer 24/7 and was used for email (mine and SWMBO's), web browsing, word
processing etc, playing games (Sims and Grand Theft Auto - about all it can
manage!) Unfortunately whenever it was thinking hard about email or a game,
HomeSeer would take ages to switch lights on.

Now, that I liberated some old PCs from work, I have a P75 sitting in the
corner with 16MB of RAM which runs Win 95 and Homeseer just great, with
only
X10 related delays. (I didn't install MS Agent in this one, partly for
speed, partly because no sound card!)

So as long as you're not maxing your processor, you don't _NEED_ a
dedicated
PC ;->

(This is half in answer to Mark H's email that came afterwards!)

(You should see the fun the MS Agent Genie has trying to pop up and
announce
something while in the middle of Sims... it takes about 5 minutes to get
through a 5 second speech!)

Cheers...

Doogie