RE: Missed Epod

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Missed Epod
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:17:37 -0000

I'll post again, as it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I have a wireless network installed, and have for some time now, but using an iPAQ as a client. There are a number of brands available in the UK that have at least 64 bit encryption (sometimes advertised as 40 bit, but it is the same thing). They are all much of a much ness, and in fact the majority of them share the same chipset. The cheapest way of doing it, is to install a PCI card in one machine and use that machine as a router.

Costs:

£120 - PCI card
£40 extension antenna (may not be necessary - but it is likely that it will be)
£115 - PC card

Make sure that whatever you buy the antenna is available, otherwise you could find that it doesn't work in certain positions in your house.

If you need an access point because you can't install a PCI card in a PC then things get a bit more expensive. Access Points start at around £400. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but at the moment these brands don't have an external antenna available. I'll say this once more. IF YOU HAVE A PC RUNNING WINDOWS (98SE OR 2000), YOU DON'T NEED AN ACCESS POINT.

Tim.