Re: ePods Contact Details / 'No, I didn't order 200, your Honour'

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: ePods Contact Details / 'No, I didn't order 200, your Honour'
  • From: "andrew@xxxxxxx" <andrew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:29:02 -0000

> I would also have said Mike!
> I see that ePod-mania has also hit the Homevision list.
> The fact that the author of ACE has one can only be good news...
> Chris
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, andy.powell@l... wrote:
> > My *guess* is Mike or Andrew

Wasn't me, I ordered 6.
I spoke to their vice president (Robert Schwartz) yesterday to find out the
ePods fate, he said ePods are no more after they sell these 500 they have
left. It is being re-launched with mods in 30 days under the brand 'Icebox'
in partnership with Salton and CMI. It is a desktop type of idea instead of
a tablet, same electronics, similar ISP arrangements (option for own ISP
too) but with a much bigger price, they are making a loss on these ePods at
present. You should see it soon on www.salton-maxim.com . I don't know how
reliable this order of 200 figure is, they collected 200 from their
warehouse yesterday and were shipping 150 same day for the advance orders.
So they are probably sold out by now until next week, maybe it's a
misunderstanding, I've heard different things from different Salton staff,
inc the vice pres' and the sales manager (Ron).

Apparently, Comfort Web Interface (CWI) works ok on ePod except for the
video feed so far (it uses java applet).
Graham says it's not able to work with java applets but can take java
script.. Dan H, is looking at Win CE dev for CWI and we may do a scale-down
version for ePods to run on 640 pix screen, We should have ours on Tuesday.

Their sales line is on voice-mail at present 001 888 889 0899, but you
could
try their Reception number:
001 847 855 0808. Salton head office in Illinois is 001 847 803 4600.

The contact I have been dealing with there is Anne Camarata, their email
address is:
salton2@xxxxxxx

Andy
CHC