RE: Epods gone a wandering

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Epods gone a wandering
  • From: REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:12:52 -0000

> Did you get activesysnc to run at 115k?

Has anyone got ActiveSync working from an NT4 host? I've tried it at home
and work but neither NT machine can see my ePOD. Don't want to get the
Win98
notebook out in case it breaks when it sees its 'replacement'.

I have now got my ePOD up and running with the WinCE hack ver 1, which is
essentially awesome. 2 people ordered from my office virtually as soon as
I'd unwrapped mine. The device can be a little sluggish when browsing the
web, and the delay seems to be caused by actually presenting the pages
rather than downloading them.

But the final proof of how 'nice' they are: I carefully downloaded a
selection of pages from the BBC's news site, switched to off-line mode, and
left the ePOD casually arranged in the kitchen for when wifey came home. It
took less than 5 minutes to be 'told' to buy the wireless networking kit,
and it was suggested we might buy the mother-in-law one as a painless way
for her to get on the web...

In terms of remote control, there is a WinCE client for VNC, but this is
reputed to run very slowly. The best recommendation is to use the WinCE
version of the Terminal Server client, which then allows you to run full
blown IE5.5 on the ePOD. This arrangement apparently runs much more quickly
than the ePOD's native IE.

So last decision is whether I setup a spare PC with Terminal Server and a
PCI radio LAN card, or order the Orinoco Residential Gateway...

Ray Barnett.