RE: Re: Wireless (again)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Wireless (again)
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <dbrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:43:34 +0000

>You must remember that there are only two chipsets in the market. The
>majority of the cards contain the PRISM chipset, so if one brand makes
it
>buzz, others are. I've been through it all, AND I have had the help of
some
>guys I am working with in the US on wireless WANs, and they have access

My hardware guy spoke to the guys at Buffalo support (or the only guy in
support at Buffalo UK by the sound of it!) and they suggested that it might
be a shielding problem with this particular card and recommended returning
to supplier for a swap (!). We're trying to persuade him to get a nice new
laptop anyway.

>information which is not public domain. Ordering kit from a different
>manufacturer means that you will more likely than not end up with kit
which
>is based on the same hardware, but with a different brand name on the
>outside, hence the Lucent, Evansys and other manufacturer's cards
looking
>identical. Just ask Ant - he works in the business. Whatever you buy
make
>sure you get external antennae. You may have to put in more than one
access
>point to get coverage through the whole office.

Sorry, I've not made myself clear..... We were trying to cheapskate and get
a wireless AP and some PC cards. We've now decided to get a company out to
install a wireless bridge with external antennae and everything, which has
5km range. (We're moving the main office within 6-12 months so will have to
relocate the antennae, but the range will be ok :-)  The new building will
be getting flood wired for Cat 5 as they decided it was going to be too
expensive for wireless for the whole production floor.

- -- -[Doogie Brodie]- -- -
- -- -[Senior Developer]- -- -
Total Repair Solutions UK
e dbrodie@xxxxxxx