RE: Re: Wireless (again)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Wireless (again)
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <dbrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:51:17 +0000

>That is one of the reasons I like the Compaq cards. They come with an
>antenna that just needs an extension cable so that it can be used
remotely.
>Come on Doogie, surely it is worth at least getting to try - you could
>always playing the old "we're buying it for evaluation
purposes" chestnut.

We've just ordered some "No Wires Needed" (and that's a brand!)
kit for the project, after the people who Breezecom's UK sales office put
us in touch with repeatedly didn't return our phone calls. Total cost is
about 3 grand. The MD has decided he wants the wireless kit setup so he can
go between offices and meeting rooms, and we've just discovered the card
makes his old Compaq laptop's speakers make a buzzing noise when it
accesses the net....!

>44 quid is about the cheapest I have come across, but I do agree they
are
>very expensive for what is essentially a piece of wire inside a plastic
>case. 3Com do some very exotic antennae with dual diversity dipoles -
their
>cards have built in intelligence, which automatically selects the most
>appropriate element based on relative strength of incoming signals -
but
>they cost 130 quid.

130 for the card with antenna, or just the antenna?

- -- -[Doogie Brodie]- -- -
- -- -[Senior Developer]- -- -
Total Repair Solutions UK
e dbrodie@xxxxxxx