Re: Fingerprint Readers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fingerprint Readers
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:04:00 -0000

>Has anyone come across any Fingerprint Readers or have any opinions on
them
>for use as door entry systems.
>The only ones I have seen so far tend to be on the large side, thus not
>really suitable for mounting on the front door frame.
>
>If I cannot find a solution that looks pleasing and is relatively
small, I
>will have to opt for my first other choice, iButtons.

The Compaq ones are pretty small (a little larger than a matchbox, I'd
say).
Don't know if they're available separately though, or whether you'd have to
buy a whole Compaq PC to get one  :-(  I know it was an option with a
number
of Compaq's, and added £75 to the cost

Fujitsu-Siemens also do a mouse with a built-in reader for about £50, maybe
you could cannibalise one of them?

Don't know if any of these devices have an SDK available, or even a
published API, so adapting or writing software for them might be tricky...

Paul G.