Usenet Group - an alternative approach

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Usenet Group - an alternative approach
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark_Harrison_UK@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:46:32 -0000

If I were an evil bugger, then I'd suggest that a group of us took=20
the opportunity to monitor comp.home.automation and post very UK-
specific comments on every question that was asked.

I would have thought that a couple of days of doing this on every=20
thread could convince the Americans that there were "non-US"
aspects=20
to their questions.

For example, the "nanny-cam" thread could have Mark Harrison
post:

- "Obviously, you'd need to register with the DPR before setting up
a=20
camera that might record your employees/contract workers, saying that=20
you were going to collect (video) data about them for the purposes of=20
monitoring their performance."

Then Stuart Grimshaw could reply

- "Good point - but wouldn't the nanny then have the right to a
copy=20
of the entire set of video footage containing her/him?"

To which Mark McCall would say

- "Yes, and you'd only be able to charge a maximum of =A310 for
this,=20
AND it would have to be provided on paper unless you could agree an=20
alternative format, so in principle you'd have to print out every=20
frame that had been recorded."

So Keith Doxey could say

- "Wouldn't there be an impact under the Human Rights Bill"

(NB - he wouldn't mention that this is an EU bill - after all, the=20
Americans don't flag up that their concerns relate to US legislature.)

And Graham Howe could reply

- "Yes, it's been in force since 25th February 2000 - you might
have=20
to notify the nanny in advance that you reserved the right to film=20
her. Suggest you talk to your local CAB before doing this.=20
Alternatively you could look on the DTI website."

Mark ;-)