Re: Wireless LAN - info on configuring the Orinoco gateway

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wireless LAN - info on configuring the Orinoco gateway
  • From: "Ray Barnett" <Barnett_Ray@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:16:11 -0000

> But with a bit of luck my last post will have cleared up the issue
> that APs
> are totally unnecessary in a home network - unless you run Linux

Or your server PC is so stuffed full that it doesn't have any PCI
slots free...

I've just come across the "Custom Installation" documentation for
the
Orinoco Residential Gateway, and it 'implies' it will work...

When configuring the gateway, it needs to be told how it will connect
to the Internet (e.g. modem, cable ethernet etc). One of the options
is "No internet". The documentation describes this as
"allows use of
the RG1000 as a relay device for wireless clients, without connection
service to the internet".

DHCP
****
Browsing further through the documentation, the AP's has a DHCP
server for both the wired and wireless LANs, both of which can be
turned off. The AP can also be configured as a DHCP client, to
retrieve its address from a DHCP server on either the wired or
wireless network. Finally, static IP information can be entered.

NAT
***
A final option allows NAT to be enabled or disabled. Documentation
describes this feature as "can be useful when the RG-1000 is merely
used as an access point without connection to the Internet".
To go with this, there is an option to enable or disable bridging.
Documentation is less clear on this one "can be useful when only
wireless stations are used". I'm taking bridging to mean 'routing
between wireless and wired'.

So Tim, please correct me if I'm wrong - you're bound to be hotter on
IP networks than me... But, presumably I would need to set the
gateway to "no internet", the DHCP properties to fit with whether
I'm
running DHCP or not, NAT to off, and Gateway to ON. This would then
be a simple router between my existing wired network and the new
wireless LAN.

Ray.

p.s. I know I don't *need* an AP, but in my specific instance, it's
easier if I do have one.