Epod Wireless Success

  • To: "ukha_d Egroup" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Epod Wireless Success
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:08:52 -0000

This from Dan on his ACE support mailinglist...

"Just bought a Linksys access point and pc card today.  802.11b
compatible
network.  Installed pc card in my laptop first to make sure I could at
least
get the hardware to work.  Worked fine (NT4 laptop).  I then installed the
pc card in the epod.  It took me a while, but I finally found a WinCE
driver
that worked for it (it does not come with a CE driver).  I ended up using
the PRISM driver (ePods1_PRISM2.zip) that is listed as working on a few
other Intersil based pc cards on the epods hack info site.  The only thing
can not get to work is DHCP on the epod.  So, I just gave it a static IP in
the 192.168 range, which the rest of my home lan is on, and it works great.

The Linksys access point (AP) just plugs into my existing 10baseT hub (I
think it can also work with 100baseT).  No crossover cable required and no
uplink port on the hub required.

I set the default gateway on my epod to the ip of my Win98 pc running ICS.
So, the epod now has access to my home lan pc's and to the Internet.  I am
using a dial-up connection on this Win98 pc and sharing it with all pc's on
my home lan.

I am still range testing a bit, but so far it works everywhere in my house
need to go.  I have the AP in my kitchen on the first floor.  If I go to my
basement workshop as far from the AP as I can get, I lose the signal.  I
might still try to relocate the AP for improved range based on where I want
to go.

It's weird, but it looks like I get better range in the epod than in my
laptop.

Cost of items:
Linksys wireless AP (WAP11):  $250 at CompUSA
Linksys wireless pc card (WPC11): $100 at CompUSA (150 - 20 instant rebate
-
30 mail in rebate)
epod: $200 at Finger Hut

Dan"