Re: Whining Pronto

Mark/Steve

Thanks, I hadn't expected a reply until tomorrow, this group is great!

I guess I should ask this at RC, but you know those funky 'wing' shaped
transports.  They're missing 'Track/Index back/fwd buttons'.  Anybody done
anything that fits in that they'd care to share?

Also I have to say I am THOROUGHLY impressed with my Pronto.  It just does
everything (IR-wise!).

My first universal was a OFA-8, which was relegated when it failed to work
my replacement Sky box.  I had one pack up on me a couple of years ago.  I
think it's just the PSU that's gone, but it was easier to replace the box
(I
still have the old one, it's one of those time permitting jobs, which will
never get done now!).

The Remote Angel was next, but that's been struggling recently, X-10, DVD
and Sky Digital all added within the last 12 months and it just couldn't
cope.

Neither of these have had the capacity, to do all off the advanced
functions
of some devices  ie setting the video timer, teletext functions, disc
no/track no selection on my multiplay CD.  All down to the availability of
buttons.

The Pronto just swallowed it all in it's stride.  Fabulous.

One interesting point, which maybe Keith/Nigel can understand/explain is
that the TV, controlled by the Pronto or the Angel with IR learned from the
original remote would not allow the same key stroke twice.  However, I
discovered that if the Pronto learned the TV controls from the Sky remote,
the commands were interpreted as RC-5 commands (they hadn't been until this
point) and repitition was acceptable, then all I had to do was get the RC-5
commands for the more advanced functions off the web!  I haven't tried this
with the Angel yet.

Just one last note, the OFA finally died completely.  I borrowed a battery
from it to lend to the CD remote while I learnt some codes, and when I gave
it back, the OFA simply said 'Factory Service Required', now it won't do a
thing ....

I think it was suicide .....