Wireless LAN

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Wireless LAN
  • From: "Ray Barnett" <Barnett_Ray@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:40:53 -0000

All,

I've just spent some time researching wireless LANs to be prepared=20
for my ePOD. There was some talk earlier this week about access=20
points. I'm reasonably keen to use one simply because my main PC is=20
out of slots, and I'd like to site the AP away from my main PC.

Anyway, to cut a long web surf short, I came across a UK company=20
called http://www.un-wired.co.uk/
who sell the Lucent Orinoco=20
wireless products.

They're selling a "Residential Gateway Kit" which is essentially
an=20
11Mbit AP router with ethernet port and v90 modem with one additional=20
PC-Card (only 64bit encryption), for the semi-bargain price of=20
=A3297.86 + VAT. The card is listed on ePodsfiles as compatible with an=20
ePod.

This seems to be about the price you'd pay a PCMCIA and PCI card if=20
you wanted to operate in a peer to peer environment? The only thing=20
I'm unsure about now is whether the fact that the AP performs NAT=20
address translation means I can or can't see the rest of my network?=20
I'm guessing it means I can - just that the rest of my network will=20
only be able to see the AP and not the wireless nodes I have=20
connected to it?

Only remaining problem now is how to sell the idea to wifey=20
that 'our' bargain US$250 Webpad needs GBP=A3300 of networking kit to=20
make it useful. I fear I might end up with a piece of cat5 around my=20
neck...

Ray Barnett