RE: EPODS in stock and willing to ship to UK

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: EPODS in stock and willing to ship to UK
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:12:24 -0000

> From: Timothy Morris [mailto:timothy.morris@xxxxxxx]
>
> I've read all the other replies. This does look like a great
> idea for HA,
> again it should be able to be hooked up to a WLAN. Do you
> know which version
> of CE it runs? It will just affect the amount of intelligence
> you can build
> in.

Not sure what verision it has, but certainly there are people using it with
WLAN.
> I think I'll stick with the iPAQ though.:)

Finding these has postponed my purchase of an iPAQ, they are so much
cheaper
and have a screen big enough for me to design some decent home control web
pages.

> Has anyone come across a guide on the 'net to building ASP based web
sites?

I taught myself using various sites and books, www.takempis.com is a good
starting point but places like www.siteexperts.com are better as you get
more advanced. To be honest I now tend to get most assistance from
newsgroups and the documentation that comes with IIS

> For this to work well with Comfort/Homeseer, I think all the
intelligence
needs to
> be built in at the HA server end, rather than the client end.

Agreed, that goes for any web environment as far as I am concerned, but
then
I do write mainly ASP which is server based. I am not sure how clever the
browser is in any of these handheld devices, I would imagine they could
cope
with basic javascript and html, but doubt they could do java, activeX,
flash
or any other 'complex' stuff.

> What would you rather have a colour Pronto or an iPAQ/EPOD with all
that
extra functionality?

I have a mono Pronto that I wouldn't be without, I have no desire to buy a
colour one as it is just a remote control, you do not spend any significant
time looking at it. Infact if the mono price tumbled I might even buy
another mono one. iPAQ and EPOD are significantly different for me to see
uses for both. If I had an iPAQ it would travel with me, the ePODs will
not.
ePODS will be my home control interfaces.

> Although my HA set-up is modest, and won't really benefit
> from it, these intelligent controllers make the potential of HA in the
hands
> of amateurs so much more powerful

Agreed, though the real power is in the 'backend systems' that will process
the controller commands.

> Tim.

Graham