RE: Wireless LANs - WARNING, LONG :)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LANs - WARNING, LONG :)
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:28:35 -0000

> The standalone iPAQ is small and light - slightly larger than a Palm,
but
> not much. With the PCCard sleeve it doubles in thickness is about
> 70-80% in
> volume terms compared with a Pronto, and about the same weight.

That sounds fine to me, I had a picture in my head of something about the
size of a paperback for some reason :)

The BIG
> advantage is that it has Internet explorer built in, so combined with
> web-server the possibilities are endless. I don't have the kit, but I
like
> Mark's idea of displaying video on there.

Yep, definitely a killer app :) I really like the fact that compaq are
supporting the port of linux for the ipaq, I like having a choice :)

There is a CF card in the works
> from Proxim, but as the CF sleeve doesn't have a battery, sustained
use
> could be a problem.

The CF solution sounds ideal to me, as it will result in a much smaller and
lighter unit, the downside of lower bandwidth and reduced battery life, I
reckon I can live with.

Now, time to sell some kit and get an ipaq :)) Work can provide the WLAN
kit
so its not too bad really. Now the only decision left is whether I should
pay 135 for a pci WLAN plus 70 for the ad-hoc software, or just spend 200
on
a buffalo AP bridge, hmmm. The only compaq AP I have seen was 600 squids,
so
that is out of the question. Did someone else mention other approx 200 quid
AP bridges?

DesG