RE: Wireless LANs - WARNING, LONG :)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LANs - WARNING, LONG :)
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:30:13 -0000

If people are getting fed up of this thread, speak up ;)

OK, I have been doing some browsing/research/thinking about my 'ideal'
solution to a personal terminal or whatever term you want to use.

An ipaq with the pcmcia caddy and a wirless lan card, will do exactly what
want. But, 1. it is too expensive, and 2. it is a bit bulky :)

So I sat down and worked out what I really need/want.

1. handheld device
2. wireless connection to the network
3. touchscreen with backlight
4. rechargeable battery ( pref. lithion or better)
5. Infrared (IrDA/consumer)
6. enough memory (very subjective, you can never have too much memory ;)
7. fast enough cpu (see 6 :)

And what I want to use it for :-

icq (preset replies are fine)
email (reading is fine)
ability to write custom programs for network monitoring/data
manipulation/X10/misc-HA
web browsing
streaming video (a would like, not a must have)

I have listed below the solutions that I have found, If anyone else knows
of
anything available, or in progress, jump in :)

Compaq ipaq with pcmcia sleeve, wireless Lan pcmcia card, and wirelees lan
connection to the network.

If price was not a concern, the ipaq would be my current choice as a
solution. But at nearly a grand, its just that bit too far out of reach.

Handspring Visor with Bluetooth radio module or wirelesslan, plus
wirelesslan/bluetooth connection to the network
www.handspring.com
http://208.184.159.138/Products/software_devel_kit_blueconnect.asp
http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/1,1298,0-0-1_704-704,00.html

The handspring solution is probably a year away from being available, best
guess. Cost should be less than the ipaq solution. (spec on the handspring
is no where near the ipaq :/ )

Casio E-125 with a CF card wireless/bluetooth solution. No idea on
availability of CF solution. No idea on cost, but probably similar to the
ipaq.
http://www.casio.com/personalpcs/product.cfm?section=19&product=3553&display
=10&cid=3897

Ones to look out for in the future, the PD-600C from palmax
http://www.palmaxtech.com/specsp6c.htm

or possibly their webpad http://www.palmaxtech.com/specswp.htm

Both of these look like perfect solutions, although they will be a neater
package than the ipaq, it will probably be more expensive :/

_IR solutions_

Now IR isn't the ideal solution, but it is wireless, Still can't decide if
will be able to put up with the line of sight problems. If I can though,
this would be the cheapest solution, probably less than ?200 all in.

Using an agenda running linux, www.agendacomputing.com with an IR
transmission system from one or possibly more locations to the machine
room.
As the total cost for this solution is so much less than the others, and
all
available now, I think I will give it a go, unless someone has some better
ideas ? :))

Nearly all PDA's have IrDA these days, so this solution might be worth
evaluating, as nearly all PDA's can run linux of one flavour or another.
If you don't like linux don't panic, it is just my preference as I will
have to develop applications for the chosen PDA, and WinCE isn't as cheap
develop for :)

Another alternative, but maybe a bit too out there, is to make a custom
device, maybe using this http://www.uclinux.org/ucsimm/ ,
only as a last
resort though :)

Anyone else interested in such a solution, or is it just me that wants all
this in my hand. To me, a pronto is great, but I need more. A handheld
device that links in to my home network to allow me to do all the things a
pronto can do, plus everything else that I have listed above is exactly
what
I want :)

Although I havn't mentioned it before, the ability to have a handset per
person is crucial, hence my constant worrying about cost :) I don't want to
read my wifes email, and I am sure she doesn't want to read mine, and we'll
not even mention icq :) Hmmm, is there an opportunity to expand the
handheld
terminal into a who/where system, as others have been talking about?

Anyway, Its' way too late to go on, if anyone has read this far, thanks and
I look forward to comments, positive and negative :)

DesG

PS, yes, there is more :) http://www.pocketlinux.com/devcenter/screens.xsl
is really worth a look, the pictures of the ipaq running pocketlinux would
make me consider putting a few quid on the lottery this week ;)