RE: UK HA Newsgroup

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: UK HA Newsgroup
  • From: nigel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:47:32 -0000 (GMT)

On 09-Jan-2001 Don McAllister wrote:
> Not that I'm anti-newsgroups or anything but why would we want
> another forum
> to discuss UK HA. I'm perfectly happy with the volume and level of
> the
> discussions within ukha_d. Or am I missing something ?

Biggest reason for me is filtering- most news software offers better
filtering or message scoring than mail clients.  So I could ignore
(say) messages about wireless LANs (or maybe wireless anythings :-)  )
and the shocking price of season tickets these days etc etc, and
others could easily ignore my technical rants about IR (or
everything!).

To stave off the inevitable barrage of 'outlook express does the same
filtering for mail and news', I should point out that I'm using a
news client with more sophisticated filtering, and I haven't yet
found a mail client to match it (and I don't like gnus, before any
fellow linux folk pipe up!!!)

As the number of messages increases, filtering is becoming a big
issue- I'd probably drop the mailing list entirely if there was a
reasonably well subscribed usenet alternative.

Nigel

Not that I'm anti-newsgroups or anything but why would we want another forum to discuss UK HA. I'm perfectly happy with the volume and level of the discussions within ukha_d. Or am I missing something ?

Again, no axe to grind just curious !

Cheers
Don